Friday 15 June 2018

Death Guard Terminators Done

Blightlord Terminators from the Blighted Path warband deploy in force on the prison colony world of Neu Diemenslandt. The terminators were used by the forces of the Death Guard as shock troops during the initial assaults of the planetary invasion.
This unit is equipped for an anti-heavy infantry role with plasma weaponry, blight launchers and a variety of close combat weapons. 

I've had these models in my collection for quite a while now, so I'm pretty chuffed to have them finished at long last!
These are the forgeworld Death Guard resin terminator torsos, combined with some plastic legs, arms and weapons from the old Assault on Black Reach boxed set, as well as some chaos terminators, possessed and a few other random parts.

I did up ten, and kept their weaponry magnetised so I can field them in quite a few different ways. I had two of each torso, so tried to vary the legs that were used for each, and the poses that they had, to add some variety to the models.

The combi weapons are either plastic chaos terminator ones, or storm bolters that I have modified to turn into combi weapons. Power axes are made from khorne berserker chain axes, with power swords being plastic terminator ones.

I added a few loin cloths, and other more grizzly trophies, to try and bulk out the models, that did look like they had legs that were too narrow.

I also added a heap of sculpted battle damage rather than just paint it on. This was mainly due to the fact that the forge world resin kits are very detailed, while the plastic kits that I used for the other parts really aren't. So I had to close the gap somehow.

The leader of the unit is a fairly nasty looking piece of work. I struggled a bit with the flesh colour on him, and am still not 100% sure that I nailed it. But it is functional enough in my opinion.

I made plague flails up from a combination of marine weapons and a morning star from the plastic beastman kit. It is a little underwhelming looking for what it's rules are, but should be fit for purpose. I might add some more balls and some jewellery chain to it down the track, to bulk it up a little more.
This is the most mutated guy that I have in the unit. I gave him a possessed leg, and a mutated hand.

To keep things magnetic and interchangeable, I needed to come up with some non-weapon options for the models armed with plague flails. A bell is always a nice addition to a nurgle force.

The blight launchers are made from Imperial Guard grenade launchers. I will need to get more of these if I want to run these models as Grave Warden terminators in Horus Heresy games (which I do!).

The squad leader for the second squad, or 2IC if I run them as a ten man squad, has had a head swap. I drilled out the resin one, cut the head off that was a trophy on top of the model, and popped it in where the old head was. The loincloth is a piece of calico fabric covered with super glue to make it hard. I might need to weather the edges of it a little more.

I did up quite a few alternative arms up for the unit too. This allows me to field them in a number of different ways, such as a chaos lord with lightning claw and chainfist.

I did enough combi meltas and power fists up to go in the while unit, so I can equip them for quite specific roles.

I also had a heavy flamer model that I painted up, so these guys should be a fun addition to my death guard force.
The marine heads on the bases are painted in the colours of my own loyal marine army, so should look pretty good when the two armies are fighting each other.

So that's another big unit done. I'm quite happy that it's complete at last, and hopefully I can get a game in with it soon.

2 comments:

  1. These guys look great! I really like the colours you’ve used on them! Top stuff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much LC! My painting techniques and paints are a bit dated these days compared to how others paint, but it does the job on dirty death guard!

    ReplyDelete