Friday 24 August 2018

The Daemon Prince Mortarion

Mortarion, Primarch of the Death Guard and champion of Nurgle, stalking the battlefield of the 41st millenium.
Back in 1992 (or thereabouts) I picked up this epic Mortarion model for my Chaos army. I painted him up, killed lots of orks and squats, and promptly neglected him for over a decade.

So with the re-release of Adeptus Titanicus, and him sitting close at hand when I was looking for epic scale models in the "to spruce up" pile, I decided to (re)paint him up.
I put him on a 40mm round base, added a couple of infantrymen and a spare hellhound turret, and set to work.

I'm pretty happy with the  final result. It is mainly thanks to the quality of the sculpt rather than anything particularly spectacular on my behalf. I think it's probably a Jes Goodwin sculpt, as his models usually impress me when I paint them, irrespective of their age.
I'm curious to see what they do with the new Adepticus Mechanicus game, will they add infantry and tank rules, bring it into the 41st millennium, add other races?
The new buildings in the Titanicus boxed set all have space on the roof for putting infantry stands, so I'd say they are planning to (or rather planning for the possibility), but it will probably depend on sales figures and if they think it will reduce sales in their other gaming systems.
While it is great that they are re-releasing some of the games that they produced back in the day, I suspect that they can't support all of them to the extent that enthusiastic, cash and time poor hobbyists like myself want them to!

But for now I'll continue to spruce up some of my epic models, and pick up a new item here or there when it takes my fancy.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I like it a lot! I'm quite itchy with all this Titanicus stuff too, so I may follow your example and undust my old Epic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Suber! I've got some Eldar infantry I'm re-basing right now.

      Delete