Sunday 15 July 2018

Ungor Raiders

It was on the first night that I saw them, shadows in the darkenwood. Gutteral mutterings, a hint of movement. They were gathered around a large object on the leafy forest floor, a loose knot of darkness within the darkness. Was it a corpse of a beast in the shadows? I could not tell. Their movements were quick and decisive, predators ready to pounce. I slipped away quietly into the darkenwood. The beasts had come.

The first of my updated brayherd units, these ungor raiders are a mix of a few plastic kits. They are mainly made up of the older plastic ungors (which I've had unpainted for about ten years I think), with their spears cut down and bent to convert them into bows. Some of them even look like bows!

There are also a few of the newer, currently available plastic models. These ones are much better sculpts, and have much more detail. I found them better to paint than the older plastics.
There are also a few plastic zombie parts thrown in too. I wanted my ungors to look downtrodden and like they are struggling. A few zombie parts seemed like the way to go, and also helped with the subtle "looks like they're turning to Nurgle" appearance I was going for.

The unit champion has one of the newer ungor arms, complete with an axe for chopping firewood. And other things...
The paint scheme was fairly standard for me, with plenty of browns and greens. There is also a hint of red and rust to add a little colour.

On the standard I added extra red and a splash of blue to help it stand out.  The design is fairly simple and I didn't put too much thought into it. I'd like to do better ones for the gors and bestigor, with extra detail on the bestigors especially. But I'm happy for the ungor units to have fairly simple designs like this.
You can see the zombie leg conversion on the standard bearer. He's also committed the sin of not having hooves! I'm surprised he's lasted this long in the herd. He must be a good dancer r something.

And below is the guy who plays the tunes. The horn is a newer ungor one, but I seem to have lost the piece that glues onto the end. So I had to drill it out, which worked ok but is a bit disappointing.
Such are the trials of a person who stockpiles unassembled models for a decade.
You can also see that I forgot to go back and paint his nipple ring! Actually there are a few little metal bits that I meant to go back and do, that I will have to get to some day, things like necklaces and other adornments. I think I will just do them next time I paint a brayherd model, but lets face it, with a memory like mine and a massive painting queue, who knows when they will get done!

But that's it for now. My first refurbished unit for my brayherd army!

No comments:

Post a Comment