Monday 12 March 2018

Epic Deredeos

Deredeo dreadnoughts of the Death Guard legion searching for targets.
Dreadnought maniples within the legion were typically composed of a mix of contemptor and deredeo assets when deployed in the field. Full deredeo maniples such as the one shown here, while a rare sight, were fielded when specific objectives were required. These deredeos are all armed with the anvilus autocannon battery and aiolos missile launcher, suggesting that they have been designated an anti vehicle air defence role. This type of maniple was often used to support initial planetfall attacks, and then defend the territory taken until heavier reinforcements were landed and the deredeos could be relieved.


I picked up these great fan made deredeo dreadnoughts from a mate late last year, and couldn't wait to paint them up.
They are nice and simple to put together, have plenty of detail and were fairly straight forward to paint.
I assembled them in one evening, and painted them in another, so they weren't too time consuming to do.

I mounted them on steel 32mm washers, which I base most of my infantry units on. I find these are a pretty good size and have a reasonable presence, looking pretty good on the battlefield.

The bases are bigger than the 25mm bases I use on my other epic dreadnoughts. There are a couple of reasons for this, to protect the big (and bendy) autocannons, and because I might use them as count-as desecrators in the 40k era Epic Death Guard list.

I put a mix of sand and pva on the bases, and painted them up.
The scheme is my standard one, but I have altered the green that I typically use. I wasn't completely happy with my old green, but thankfully GW has released Death Guard Green, which fits the bill nicely.

I simply painted that on, shaded it with athonian camoshade, and then highlighted the edges with underhive ash. It's pretty simple, and looks better than the older, more vivid green that I have used previously.
So this means that I will have to go back and re-paint all the green on my older models, but I think it will be worth it.

So the Death Guard are reinforced with some heavy hitters!

No comments:

Post a Comment