Monday 26 March 2018

Undead Samurai Ep

After a flurry of activity at the long dormant painting desk here is another completed model, a C18 undead samurai from 1985ish.
This one is Ep in the catalogue, and is armed with some sort of trusty two edged straight sword. Well, it's reasonably straight after a couple of decades in the lead pile!
A quick wikipedia search tells me that a straight bladed double edged sword was called a tsurugi. They were pre-10th century swords so are pretty old and pre-dated more advanced techniques like folding and differential hardening.

I gave this one a liberal coating of rust to show it's antiquity. My rust method is prety simple, paint it brown, apply a brown wash, then dapple on some orange and orange-yellow and do some fine edge highlights with silver.
The paint scheme is all over a base of mournfang brown, and I just work up from there. I stuck to my limited palette, with a splash of red around the hem and sash, and the robes all being a light brown colour.
The base is my standard recipe; grey, black wash, drybrush pale green, and glue on a tuft of dead grass.
So this guy brings me up to 11 completed undead samurai, with seven to go (and two to be added to my collection some day, when I find them, which will bring me up to twenty).






2 comments:

  1. I love these models and you did an excellent job painting him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew! I'm starting to get more comfortable with my colour scheme, settling in on a formula that I think works. It's all in the recipe!

      Delete