Friday 23 March 2018

Grim Dark Mirada

A 5.9 litre V8 Dodge Mirada coupe of the Children of Anarchy, up armoured and awaiting fitment of it's armament.

This is a hot-wheels conversion of an old stock car that has been sitting in my Dark Future box for a few decades, waiting for someone to convert it and paint it. After all that time it has finally made it's way to the head of the painting queue, and I converted it in a couple of evenings, and painted it up in a couple.
The model itself is a '83 Dodge Mirada Stocker, produced by Hot-wheels back in the 80's somewhere. My brother and I raided our matchbox car collection when we had matured (well matured a little bit anyway!) and converted some of them into Dark Future vehicles. This Mirada was enthusiastically hit with a hammer and squashed in a vice to make it look like it had rolled over at some stage in the grim dark future of 1995. It had been given a coat of black paint thanks to a permanent marker!
I took that shell of a conversion, and added to it using the parts and skills I've picked up in the decades since. I added steel pipe bumpers, with an additional push bar on the front, armour plating (made from magnetic sheet so I can magnetise guns onto it), and a few other little additions to up armour it.
The windshield armour is made from bread clips, with a bit of damage added thanks to a drill and a blade to make it look a bit more "renegade".

The front bar is made from some electrical wire, wire twist'ems and part of the stem of a cotton bud.
I pulled the interior out as well, by drilling out the rivet on the bottom of the car, and painted the interior separately to the rest of the car before gluing it all back together. It also allowed me to remove the plastic windscreen.
The paint job is a fairly utilitarian weathered black and rust with anarchy symbols, which has become the standard scheme for the Children of Anarchy, who are one of my gangs roaming the bad lands of No Go.
The carbon steel armour upgrades were painted with brown, dry-brushed and edge highlighted with silver, and given a healthy wash of brown to deepen the rust look.
The whole car was given a heavy dry brush of light brown dust, which pretty much matches the colour of the track pieces in the box, so looks pretty good on the road.
I learned from my mistake with the Laguna, and painted the lights after the dust drybrush so you can still see the detail.

But how to run it in the game? It seems more like a renegade than an interceptor to me, and a quick wikipedia search told me that the Mirada came in a 5.9 litre V8! I put together a Dark Future gang builder in the Quartermaster app, and added the Mirada in.
A $100k version of the car might look like this when I add the armament.
So that's it for now! Another renegade ready to take down some upstart Op's!

No comments:

Post a Comment