Thursday 29 November 2018

The Dread King

Carried forth on his undead nightmare steed, the Dread King Murillo rides into the lands of the living, leading his undead host in their thirst for vengeance of ancient wrongs.

Murillo (who I named after a baroque Spanish artist that popped up in a google doodle when I was about to google famous dead Spanish artists!) is the first of my twenty-odd undead cavalry that I have to re-paint for this army. They are part of the C21 Citadel Undead Cavalry range from the mid-80's. Murillo was labelled as a witch lord in the original catalogue, and will make a great character for my old lead undead horde.
To help him stand out from the other cavalry I gave him a round base rather than an oval one, but I marked where an oval one would be with a couple of large rocks, so I can measure distances to and from those if I need to.

He is mounted on a chain mail barded steed to help him look suitably posh, and I glued a shield to him to make him look a little bit more survivable as well.
The paint scheme is my standard one for this army, complete with glowy blue eyes as he is a character (I didn't realise that was what I was doing, but it seems that all of my character models have glowy blue eyes!). The gold is simply some silver paint, with a bit of yellow mixed in, given a brown wash, and a slightly yellower highlight. I was going for an older appearance for it, so didn't want it too shiny and fresh looking.

While the crown appears impressive from a distance, the moldline inside it indicates poor workmanship on the part of the lowly knave that was supposed to prepare it. Oops...
In Age of Sigmar games he will either be a Wight King, or a Vampire Lord on Nightmare, and add some nice buffs to my skeleton hordes.

In third edition games he will make a nice undead hero, and should be a great leader for my army.

4 comments:

  1. First thing that called my attention was the name :D (I do love Murillo's work)
    I didn't know the mini, and I have to say it's great. The paintjob is awesome, you truly see power throuhg him, a true undead king. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! It was just luck that Murillo popped up in front of me as soon as I opened chrome. Or fate perhaps...

      Delete
  2. Love the model, that's one of my all time favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I haven't glued him to the mount either, so I can swap him out to ride something else like my old metal zombie dragon as it takes my fancy.

      Delete