Wednesday 19 September 2018

Bring out ya dead...

Emerging from the gloom the dreaded Corpse Cart of the Host of the Pale King acts as a locus of unholy power. 
Slowly and relentlessly plodding it's way to the front of the painting queue, I painted p this old corpse cart model that's been in my collection for what seems like an eternity.

The model itself is an interesting mix of components, with a cart made of wood, wheels made of bone (shared with the undead chariot released way back in the 80's as well) and the undead oxen, which I think is one of the coolest parts of the model.

The wraith is a bit of an odd sculpt, and doesn't fit on the cart too well. I added a little greenstuff seat to help things out there.

The skulls on the top of the scythe make it look even more unwieldy (I've used a scythe in real life and wouldn't rate it as a melee weapon!), but add to the skully-ness of the model, and tie it in with my other undead skeletons, like my Grave Guard.
I was going to paint the skeletons on the back in a glowy blue, like my casket of souls, but had it painted brown as a part of the undercoating process, so simply painted them brown for now. It makes the overall model brown in a sea of brown, with very little else breaking it up. I might change it in the future. Perhaps. One day.

The standard base matches all of my other undead, but I added a bit of brown to it (adding more brown-ness!) to make it look a little like it is corrupting the ground as it passes.
I also sculpted some sort of yoke out of greenstuff, as the oxen wasn't attached to the cart. We can't have a skeleton ox pulling a cart full of skeletons crewed by a wraith looking unrealistic now can we!

In games of Age of Sigmar the corpse cart will add some nice benefits to my undead army. It will either improve the ability of my spell casters to cast, or reduce the ability of my enemy to cast (you choose which when you design your army so I can't mix and match or change it mid-battle), plus it gives units of dire wolves +1 to their saving throw, making them slightly more resilient. So I'll need to get some of them painted up (as they are stuck in the ever-so-slowly-diminishing lead pile at the moment).

In games of WHFB 3rd edition the Undead Plague Cart gives me a +1 to my instability tests, and causes fear, so should be a nice little addition to the army.

In both cases I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment