Thursday 27 August 2015

Medusa Siege Guns

The Medusa Siege Guns were heavily utilised by the Death Guard Legion during the Great Crusade and the events that followed. The powerful main gun, capacity to fire a variety of horrific shells, and the ability to keep pace with more mobile Death Guard elements meant that it has remained a key asset in the armoury of the followers of the Blighted Path.


Note the battle worn state of the Medusas. The Death Guard had a propensity to fight on highly toxic battlefields thanks to their physical resilience to such environments. Additionally, superficial battle damage was seen as a badge on honor among the Death Guard, who eschewed some of the more lavish adornments adopted by other legions. This applied to their vehicles as well, with the weaponry and key components being well maintained, while the superficial damage was allowed to accumulate over time.

These Legion Medusas are the first of my models that I've done for a 30k Death Guard force. I've deliberately painted them up in a worn looking scheme, partly because of the Death Guard narrative, but also because I will be using these as contagion engines in my 40k force. I like the idea of these much more than catapults that is how contagion engines were traditionally modelled.
Like I try to do with all of my 6mm vehicles, I've put these on bases. I used steel washers with a layer of sand and soil from the garden sprinkled on. I sieve it first, to get rid of the larger pieces, and then wash it to get rid of the dust and ultra fine material. Once dry and applied I then give it a light coating of glue before priming with a spray primer.
I find that mounting vehicles on bases really helps to protect them from damage, but means that I occasionally have trouble placing them in cover or packing them in close to an objective. The advantages are worth the issues in my opinion!
I have some death guard legion transfers in storage, that I will add to these vehicles one day. For now I have avoided painting a freehand symbol on, leaving them looking a little bland. I might add some unit numbers to them to help dress them up a little until the transfers are applied.
I went with a fairly standard legion colour scheme of weathered white, and dark green. This allows me to use them in 30k and 40k games of Epic, and matches my 28mm Death Guard models too (who are painted in that scheme for the same reason).
These vehicles came with crewmen to man the gun. I might have a go at painting some of them up and adding them in. It looks a little vacant in the back, but for now they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment