Sunday 1 July 2018

Death Guard Consul Karthago

Pict capture of XIVth Legion Master of Signal Karthago at an unknown location during the Age of Darkness. As typical for a Death Guard Legionnaire Karthago has sustained a significant amount of superficial damage to his battle plate, most of which does not appear to have compromised the armour functionality.

Karthago is equipped with improved communications gear and an auspex, to support the ranged attacks of his fellow legionnaires. He also carries an archaic thurible of unknown origin, which were used more frequently by the XIVth legion towards the latter stages of the Age of Darkness.
Karthago is the last of my support officers that I have been planning to paint up. Well the last for now anyway!

Like the others I have put magnets in his arms so I can use him for a variety of units in both 30k and 40k games. 

These include:

30k Master of Signal:
In 30k games a master of signal has the cognus signum (granting +1 to hit to someone nearby) and nuncio vox (helping out barrage weapons), and is armed with a pistol and close combat weapon. I usually just equip mine with a bolt pistol and chainsword, so would swap out the thurible in his left hand above with a chainsword. He then stands near the big guns and helps them out.

40k Biologus Putrifier:
Armed with an injector pistol and improving the blight grenades of nearby models this character adds value when combined with a large plague marine squad, and the 1 command point Death Guard stratagem Blight Bombardment, letting all plague marines in the squad use their blight grenades rather than just one. They cause mortal wounds on a wound roll of 6+, and get d6 attacks each, with the biologus giving them +1 strengh and +1 damage, which is cool.
When he dies he explodes, so ideally I need to come up with an alternative backpack to represent this. I'm thinking something along the lines of a poison wind globadier backpack, or similar.

40k Foul Blightspawn:
Armed with a Plague Sprayer (Death Guard heavy flamer) these guys also de-buff enemy units that charge them. He also carries a 2d6 attack blight grenade, which a nearby model can throw.

I can use the thurible to represent the up gunned blight grenade, and the heavy flamer is from my terminators.
The hand holding the thurible is a little worse for wear. I didn't realise until I started painting it unfortunately, and had gone too far down the rabbit hole to turn back. Also I've just realised that I've forgotten to put the static grass tufts on this model, so I'd better do that as well.

And here he is alongside Tally Chaplain Glomerata, no doubt in the thick of it.

I also have plenty of other magnetised options I can put on him, like a mutated hand...
or a nice combi weapon and sword to run him as a more conventional character:
So another support character done. I quite like the look of him with that cmbi weapon and sword, so if I need a stand in captain type character then this will be one of my go to options.

Now I just need to find the time to get some games in.

2 comments:

  1. This are absolutely beautiful (in a disgusting way)! Top stuff mate!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LC! I've got a Daemon Prince that I'm kit-bashing at the moment, so it will probably be the next Death Guard model I do. I'm just struggling to get the right aesthetic at the moment, so it's taking longer than I wanted. Plus I'm distracted by other things. Such is the way of a part time wargamer!

      Delete